Whenever I want to watch the movies I’ve downloaded over the internet on our Sony 40-inch Bravia LCD TV, I’d usually hook up our laptop to it and stream the content via WiFi. It’s a bit cumbersome since you have to fiddle around with the connections on the TV and wait for the OS to boot up before you can start enjoying the movie.
It’s a good thing though that Western Digital WD TV Live HD media player is now available locally making it easier to enjoy digital movies in full-HD1080p resolution. Simply hook up the WD TV Live HD player to your TV either via HDMI, composite or component video, connect a USB flash drive or external HDD with the movies you want to watch, turn on the device, and you’re good to go. It also comes with a digital SPDIF output so that you can route the audio to your AV receiver to enjoy rich surround sound.
One drawback to it is that WiFi connectivity doesn’t come standard on the WD TV Live HD media player. The WiFi adaptor is sold separately, and with a SRP of P8,200, you’d also expect that it already comes with some sort of internal storage. With that being said though, it’s hard to deny that the WD TV Live HD media player is a pretty nifty device and is a definite must have for those own a large of collection of digital movies and want to enjoy it to the fullest on their widescreen TV. It’s a bit pricey, but still, that’s a small amount to pay for the convenience you’ll be getting with this baby hooked up to your HD TV.
The full press release is posted below, or if you want, you can download the brochure here.
WD® UNVEILS WD TV™ LIVE HD MEDIA PLAYER WITH NETWORK CAPABILITY AND ENHANCED USER EXPERIENCE
Consumers Can Stream HD Content from USB Drives, Network Drives and Popular Internet Sites to Their Big Screen TVs
MANILA, Philippines – February 23, 2010 – WD® (NYSE: WDC), the world’s leader in external storage solutions, today introduced the WD TV Live HD media player featuring network capability and Full-HD 1080p resolution. The new WD TV Live HD media player makes it easy for anyone to play HD (high definition) videos stored on USB and network drives, as well as Internet content from popular Web sites, on the biggest screen in their home — their HD television. Building on the success of the WD TV HD media player, the WD TV Live HD media player offers a new, more responsive interface to help consumers enjoy a world of digital content in their living room, without a computer.
The network capability of the WD TV Live media player enables users to stream or transfer movies from PC or Mac® computers or a network-attached storage device such as WD’s My Book® World Edition™ and WD ShareSpace network drives to their HD TVs. The WD TV Live media player also allows users to stream rich content from YouTube™, Flickr® and Pandora®. The HD onscreen menu brings together all of the users’ available media in an elegant and simple-to-navigate interface.
Consumers are amassing large libraries of digital videos, photos and music on their computers. According to research firm Parks Associates, the average consumer had 123 GB of videos, photos, and music in 2009 which will grow to 1.3 TB by 2013 (Digital Lifestyles: 2009 Outlook). In addition, an increasing number of consumers are looking for seamless access to their personal media, as well as to Internet media. According to Parks Associates, the sales of connected consumer electronics devices, such as connected TVs and digital media adapters, is expected to more than double from 57 million units in 2009 to 115 million units in 2013 (Home Networks for Consumer Electronics 2009).
Consumers are investing millions of dollars in HD TVs, with HD televisions representing more than 50 percent of TVs sold in the U.S., according to Parks Associates (Home Networks for Consumer Electronics 2009). But consumers’ digital content is often relegated to the relatively small screen on their PC or Mac computers. The WD TV Live HD media player is the newest member in the family of WD TV media players by WD, which make moving digital content from a computer to playing it on a big screen TV simply plug-and-play.
Like the popular first-generation WD TV HD media player introduced last fall, the WD TV Live media player connects directly to a users’ HD TV and plays almost any file stored on a connected USB drive such as My Passport™ portable drive. The WD TV Live media player features powerful media processing, which enables playback in Full-HD 1080p resolution. WD TV Live media player also will play movies and photos stored on other popular USB devices such as digital camcorders and digital cameras.
“The media enthusiast community has embraced the first WD TV HD media player and given us tremendous feedback,” said Dale Pistilli, vice president of marketing for WD’s branded products group. “With the new WD TV Live media player we’re giving them what they asked for — network connectivity and Internet-content streaming capabilities — and offering them a simple way to enjoy all of their digital media and enjoy it on their HD TVs.”
WD TV Live HD Media Player
Features of the WD TV Live HD Media Player include:
– Full-HD 1080p video playback and navigation with the included remote control and crisp, animated navigation menus;
– Play a wide variety of file formats including support for a wide variety of the most popular file formats with no need to spend time transcoding;
– Play videos, music and photos from the Internet on your big screen TV and discover new music with Pandora Internet radio or listen to thousands of radio stations via Live365 Internet radio;
– Ethernet port for wired or WiFi connection1 to access files anywhere on the network to play movies, music, and photos from any PC or drive on a home network;
– Turns a USB drive2 into an HD media player and plays content from most popular USB drives, and digital cameras, camcorders, and portable media players that can be recognized as mass storage devices;
– Unlimited media collection, just add more USB drives for more space;
– Two USB ports for seamless media playback from multiple USB drives and ability to access them simultaneously while a media library feature collects the content on all the drives into one list sorted by media type;
– Transfer files by copying, moving or deleting files stored on a USB drive, a network drive, camcorder, or a camera to the attached USB drive using the on-screen menus;
– Picture Transfer Protocol support to show photos and movies directly from digital camera or video camera and or any digital imaging device that supports Picture Transfer Protocol;
– Advanced navigation options including thumbnail and list views, media library and search;
– Photo viewing to create custom slide shows, zoom and pan and search;
– Movie viewing with fast-forward, rewind, pause, zoom and pan, view subtitles, and search;
– Music playback with fast-forward, rewind, pause, shuffle, repeat and search;
– File copying between USB devices;
– HDMI® 1.3 port, composite video and component video output3 for the highest quality HDTV or home theater;
– SPDIF digital output that sends digital signals to your AV receiver for the best surround sound experience; and,
– Ultra-compact design to fit easily into a home entertainment center.
1 WiFi adapter sold separately. 2 WD TV media players are optimized for use with My Passport portable hard drives.
Pricing and Availability
The WD TV Live Media Player is distributed by Axis Global Technologies, Inc. and ATP Peripherals (Phils), Inc. and is available now select retailers in Philippines. Covered by a 1-year limited warranty, the MSRP for WD TV Live Media Player is P8,200.00.